The Safer Lock originated from one family’s experience with prescription opioids.
Like many other opioid stories, this story began with a prescription following a car accident. In this home, a curious teen began experimenting with opioid painkillers: quietly taking one or two at a time from his mother’s purse so she wouldn’t notice they were missing. It didn’t take long for the teen’s opioid experimentation to turn into substance abuse and addiction. Prescription pain pills pilfered from a purse became heroin obtained from the street. One family’s prescription story became a nightmare as a promising young teen dropped out of school, stole from family and friends, and fought a battle against addiction.
Unfortunately, this story is not uncommon or unusual. An estimated 10 million Americans misuse opioids yearly; most misuse centers around prescription painkillers.
What was different about this family’s story was a commitment to finding a solution to the problem of “pilfering” — the act of slowly stealing prescription pills from a family member one or two at a time to avoid detection. Most people who misuse opioids get them (with or without permission) from a family member or friend.
Safer Lock was developed with the intent to make it harder for people to get unauthorized access to prescription pills by securing the bottle with a combination locking mechanism. By removing the ease of access, Safer Lock helps families put an extra level of security between powerful prescription medications and curious teens.
From this single solution, an entire company was created to keep families safe. Through a variety of products aimed at preventing medicine misuse and accidental ingestion, the product line has expanded to provide interventions both at home and from pharmacies.
The Safer Lock family was lucky: not only did their son get addiction treatment, but their story led them to create a solution that could help other families avoid issues like prescription misuse and accidental ingestion that can lead to prescription medication poisoning or overdose deaths across the country. If one life has been saved as a result, then this story has a very happy ending.